Hot off of the press!: New VMware Virtual SAN and Cohesity white paper.
I got the opportunity to collaborate with my pals Gaetan Castelein and Sai Mukundan from Cohesity and co-author a white paper based on Virtual SAN and Cohesity DataPlaform. Download it and learn about the undeniable cost effective value hyper-convergence delivers to the modernization of data centers with Virtual SAN and Cohesity as primary and secondary storage solutions.
Here is a brief summary of the topics covered in the paper:
Capabilities offered by Virtual SAN and Cohesity DataPlatform
- Pay as You Grow Scaling – Modular growth capabilities enable easy scaling on both Virtual SAN and Cohesity solutions so you only buy what you need when you need it. Simply add more storage when you need more high-performance primary storage, and add a single node or 2U block of 4 nodes to the Cohesity cluster when you need additional secondary storage capacity.
- Plug and Play Installation & Policy driven Management – Both Virtual SAN and Cohesity are designed to be turnkey, eliminating the need for timely and expensive professional services. Both solutions leverage intuitive management consoles and offer non-disruptive upgrades. Once primary workloads are running on Virtual SAN, policies can be set up in minutes on the Cohesity Data Platform that leverages VMware native VADP APIs for data protection. The Cohesity solution dramatically lowers RPOs and RTOs.
- App-Specific storage class of Service – While Virtual SAN is tuned to focus the fastest flash resources on your top tier applications, Cohesity follows up with application specific QoS policies for the backup services in your secondary storage. Combined, you are ensured that you are getting the best bang for your flash investment across your entire data center.
- Fast RPOs and instantaneous RTOs – Cohesity provides sub-15 minute RPOs and instantaneous RTOs leveraging SnapTree zero-cost snapshots and clones. Cohesity also provides cluster-wide VM, file and object-level search for rapidly identifying recovery targets.
- Data Reduction – Virtual SAN implements inline and post-process data reduction to enable effective storage reduction across a wide range of mixed workloads. Cohesity also o ers both inline and post-process dedupe and compression, configurable on a per workload basis.
- Consolidation & Cost Savings – With intelligent use of flash in Virtual SAN and Cohesity, you can eliminate storage sprawl and consolidate your data onto the best in class all-flash tier and the most efficient hyperconverged secondary storage platform. The consolidation enabled by Virtual SAN and Cohesity’s approach will reduce datacenter footprint to achieve lower total cost of ownership. In addition, Cohesity offers native integration with all the leading cloud providers for data tiering and archival.
- Support for backups, files, and test/dev copies – Cohesity complements Virtual SAN with support for backups, files, and test/dev copies. This further eliminates storage sprawl by eliminating NAS appliances specifically used for le serving or test/dev environments.
- Accelerate application time to market – Cohesity makes secondary data productive. An instant, zero cost clone can be taken from a backup image, and presented to any Virtual SAN cluster for rapidly spinning up test/dev environments. Developers gain instant access for dynamic development, QA, and staging of their applications.
- Built-in analytics – Cohesity automatically indexes all the content ingested into the system, enabling Google-like search to rapidly identify individual VMs or files. In addition, Cohesity provides detailed reporting on capacity and data utilization. Finally, the platform supports running MapReduce jobs directly on the platform for in-place, custom analytics on the data.
Download the paper directly from here:
Read Cohesity’s blog for more information about vSphere, Virtual SAN, and Cohesity DataPlatform
- VMware Virtual SAN and Cohesity DataPlatform
For future updates on Virtual SAN (VSAN), vSphere Virtual Volumes (VVol) and other Storage and Availability technologies, as well as vSphere Integrated OpenStack (VIO), and Cloud-Native Applications (CNA) be sure to follow me on Twitter: @PunchingClouds.